Establishing group dynamics and laying the ground rules are perhaps two of the most important steps to launch a successful mentor training program. Once established, these parameters help ensure mentors engage in shared learning of ways to become more effective mentors.
Learning Objectives for the Introduction
- Learn about other mentors in the group and begin building a learning community
- Reflect on group dynamics and ways to make the group functional
- Establish ground rules for participation
Readings/Activities to complete before the session
note: links are to PDF files that may either display in your browser or download, depending on your settings
- Write a brief mentoring philosophy. See this handout for guidance.
- Read the Constructive and Destructive Behaviors hand out