The Office of Graduate Education is seeking nominations for our annual Award for Excellence in Basic Science Mentoring. This award will go to select faculty members affiliated with the Biological and Biomedical Sciences Program (BBSP) who demonstrate excellence in mentoring graduate students.
To be eligible for this award, the nominee must:
- Be a current faculty at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Be affiliated with a BBSP-affiliated PhD program
- Not have previously won this award
Excellence in Mentoring
- Demonstrate high integrity and professionalism, show respect for trainees
- Clearly articulate expectations and set aside sufficient time to support trainee development
- Support scientific growth and development of trainees, demonstrated by record of trainees’ co-authorships and professional accomplishments
- Value diversity and promote a sense of belonging to create an inclusive lab environment
- Provide opportunities to network both within the university and within the scientific field of interest to enable the trainee to meet their goals
- Exhibit a strong commitment to facilitating trainee career development
- Demonstrate long-term commitment to supporting trainees beyond their training period in the lab
- Have a track record of students who graduate in a timely fashion and go on to successful scientific careers of any sort
- NOTE: Strong nomination letters provide specific examples of how the mentor has demonstrated these qualities
- Nomination must come from a PhD trainee (either current or former) who entered through BBSP
- Nominations must include
- At least one letter (and up to three letters) from current/former PhD trainees summarizing the nominee’s qualifications for the award (2 pages max each). Letters may be cosigned by multiple trainees.
- A list of past graduate trainees and current career status
- A support letter, preferably from the Director of Graduate Studies or Chair of curriculum/department OR a letter of support from a departmental faculty colleague (2 pages max)
- Submission: Letters of nomination from trainees and faculty support letters can be submitted here.
***Trainee nominators must reach out to a faculty member and provide the nomination link when requesting that they submit a letter of support for the mentor.***
2020 Award Nomination Information
- Deadline for nominations: November 1, 2020 by 11:59pm
- Online submission form
If you have any questions about the nomination process or experience difficulty with the nomination site, contact Dave McDonald, PhD (email@example.com).